Partners in Ministry
Help and Encouragement for Ministry Wives
Author: Hoover, Christine
Publisher: Amazon Digital Services, 2014
Tags: Local Church, Women's Ministry
This was a good little book overall, especially for the Type A personality pastor’s wife. For me it seemed like a lot of the author’s struggles within her spirit were not my struggles. I wished there was more from my point of view. However, there was a lot here that were good reminders for me.
- Being (or not being) the cool church is not the point.
- Strength and power comes from God.
- Faithfulness is the goal.
- Uniqueness of each individual and individual ministry.
- The need for rest.
- We don’t need the approval of man, only God’s approval.
- The chapter about Friendship was better than I thought it would be. It was not the type of stuff I want to hear or do, but it was good for me.
- The chapter “Specifically for Sundays” was …. what I needed.
The only negatives were my old annoyance at the author’s concept of grace living or gospel living versus “legalism”. Do we change through effort? Yes. (See my article “It’s a Relationship AND a Religion”.) Also, this kind of writing is such a contrast to the old style writing about sanctification and holiness. While the casual, modern language is enjoyable and easy and quick to read, I find myself wanting to go back to Tozer or Spurgeon for some more depth.