The girls’ quilts are done! My #3 and #4 girls share a room. Although they are not twins, they were born in the same year. Last year I decided to do their quilts in tandem so neither one of them would have to wait a whole year until theirs in done. I did the same pattern but different colors for each girl. One was pink with light green accents, and the other was dark purple with dark green accents. It worked out beautifully and with my schedule it took about a year to do.
The pattern is called African Violet, but I simplified the pattern a bit to save time. Usually the outer corners are notched out as well. Keeping it totally square, I saved myself four triangles per block. I’m also not usually very fond of sashing in general. Sashing between blocks can become a design element in itself which is just not my taste. In this case, though, the sashing really made the flowers stand out and became more of a backdrop to the pattern. So it worked well!
I especially liked the back of the purple quilt. That material was not the typical quilter’s fabric. It was a bit stretchy and I thought it would fold up under the machine too easily. However, I had a LOT of it and it was a good match in color. It turned out beautifully! Really shows the quilt pattern. Hmmm. I may have to try a whole cloth quilt someday. Maybe with the same pattern. It just looks so pretty.
I spent a lot of time cutting and sorting all of my flower pieces, but then I was off to the races chain stitching it all together.
I used my scalloped edge tool that I purchased from Missouri Star Quilt Company. It made that process so much easier, and it gave the quilts a very feminine look. I used just a regular sharpie marker to make my markings since it would be cut off anyway.
Most of all, the girls enjoyed having the quilts on their beds.
I think the purple quilt looks very much like the African Violet pattern should. However, the pink quilt really looks like a big piece of candy. I’m really pleased with how they turned out. My next project is a red, white, and blue quilt for my son’s bed.